Lawful permanent resident

How to Count Prior Investments in the US Towards an EB-5 Green-card

By | Blog, Business, E-Visa, EB-5, Green Card, immigration, Immigration Law, Lawful permanent resident, LPR, News & Announcements, Visa | No Comments


Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 9.06.50 AM

An EB-5 immigrant visa is a visa that allows you to become permanent resident if you invest 1-million dollars (or 500k in certain circumstances) and create 10-jobs for US citizens or residents. (Some other day we’ll talk about what “10-jobs” mean. Today I want to talk about how to count the 1-million amount when you have already invested money in the US). When funds have already been invested, there is a lot of confusion as to what counts and what doesn’t.

For the lay reader it might seem simple. 1-million is 1-million. However, as most things in the law, it is not simple and, 1-million might not be 1-million.

Let’s put an example to make it more graphic.

Let’s say Juan wants a green card through the 1M-investment program. Juan has been in the United States for 3-years (under another status, an E2 business visa). When he first came to the US he invested 50k. Because he is so good, he multiplied the 50k, and with only that 50k he generated another 950k in profits from his company. (unlikely but for purposes of explaining the 1M situation, it helps us).

In our example, Juan can only use the 950k generated by the business only if those 950k were distributed by his company to him as profits and he paid taxes on it. Once the money passes through to him and is taxed, then that money can count as part of the 1M investment for an EB5-green card visa. The reason (though not commonsensical from a business stand point since most business retain earnings or reinvest in the company) is that the EB-5 visa regulations talk about “foreign investor.” So the government wants the money to be “foreign” and that it comes from an “investor”—a human being. This is why they make you pass through the money before it can be counted.

In our example if we assume a tax rate for Juan of 30%, Juan would only be able to invest 665k of the 950k (Because 285k would be taxes). But this scenario is unlikely, because generally businesses have partners, and if, for instance Juan was a 50% owner, then we can only count the money that belongs to him, i.e.: 50% of the 665k or 332.5k.

EB-5 (green card) visas are complicated. It all starts simple: invest 1M and create 10-jobs. But, as seen, it is far from straight forward.For more information on investment visas call 305-570-2208 or email at

Vivir en los Estados Unidos Invirtiendo en Bienes Raices en Miami

By | Blog, Business, E-Visa, EB-5, Green Card, immigration, Immigration Law, Lawful permanent resident, LPR, News & Announcements, Noticias, Real Estate, Residencia | No Comments


Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 6.56.17 PM

En mi experiencia, muchas personas en todo el mundo quieren vivir en los Estados Unidos (EE.UU.) para disfrutar de la seguridad y la estabilidad que su sistema político proporciona. En América del Sur, por ejemplo, la mayoría de las personas con alto patrimonio saben que Estados Unidos nunca tendrá alguien en el poder que amenace las estructuras democráticas del país. La fuerte estructura constitucional y democrática del país no lo permite. Es decir, por lo menos esa es la imagen de los Estados Unidos en el extranjero.


Pero incluso si hay un ambiente político seguro, los extranjeros no quieren entrar en inversiones riesgosas que pueden poner en peligro sus ahorros de toda la vida. En este sentido, inversion en bienes raíces ofrece lo mejor de ambos mundos: una vida legal en los EE.UU. y una inversión segura. A través de un programa llamado EB-5 se puede obtener la residencia permanente haciendo una inversión de $500,000 en un proyecto aprobado por el gobierno.

Muchos de estos proyectos son desarrollos inmobiliarios que, ante el difícil proceso de obtener préstamos de prestamistas tradicionales, se convierten en fondos privados.

Ahora, siempre se puede invertir en su propio proyecto de bienes raíces. Dependiendo del área, la inversión podría ser $500,000 o $1,000,000. Se tiene que crear 10 empleos en los Estados Unidos para calificar a este programa. No estamos hablando de edificios sofisticados. Pequeños proyectos pueden calificar siempre y cuando cumplan con la cantidad requerida y que se creen los 10 puestos de trabajo.


Para aquellos que no necesariamente quieran invertir grandes cantidades de dinero, hay otras inversiones en bienes raíces que requieren una menor cantidad de dinero y que pueden calificar para obtener una visa para vivir en los EE.UU. con su familia.

En Ayala Law PA nos hemos asociado con prestamistas privados que otorgan a los pequeños inversionistas hasta el 50% del capital necesario para comprar bienes raíces comerciales o residenciales. Inversiones de $250,000 pueden calificar para esta opción y son la mejor alternativa para aquellos que no tienen las cantidades más grandes de dinero en efectivo necesario para obtener la residencia permanente.


La mayoría de los expertos coinciden en que ha habido un aumento en la oferta en el mercado de condominios del sur de la Florida, lo cual es muy oportuno para los que tienen la liquidez para comprar. Muchas veces el mejor negociador es el efectivo en mano. Si al mismo tiempo, usted es un extranjero que está buscando la estabilidad de una residencia permanente o una visa de negocios, este es el momento oportuno para reunirse con un abogado de inmigración y bienes raíces para empezar a hacer un poco de planificación al respecto.

También es importante señalar que los EE.UU. no ha aumentado los montos mínimos requeridos para una inversión EB-5 desde la creación del programa en 1990. Desde ese punto de vista, aquellos que tienen el dinero disponible y planean invertir en los EE.UU. deberían hacerlo antes de cualquier posible aumento en los requisitos de capital.

Mi experiencia es que cuanto antes mejor cuando se trata de inmigración e inversión. La mayoría de las veces la planificación migratoria adecuada junto con un buen plan de negocios es la mejor oportunidad para tener éxito tanto en inmigración como en la inversión.

Para mayor información llame para programar una cita al 305-570-2208 or envie un correo a

Are you Defenseless Against Federal Agents’ Abuses at Airports?

By | Admissibility, Admission, Blog, CBP, Civil Actions, Green Card, immigration, Immigration Law, Lawful permanent resident, News & Announcements, Visa | No Comments

Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 5.50.21 PM

There are several reports that Federal employees at ports of entry are taking measures that are breaching constitutionally protected rights.

In the most recent, remarkable case, a US born citizen and a NASA-engineer employee was detained by Customs and Border Protection (CBP) for no particular reason. This scientist posted the incident on his Facebook account and described how he was sent to a room for a long period of time and asked not only for his cell phone but the password to access the information in it.

The scientist, having concerns about the sensitive nature of the information in his government provided cell phone, initially refused to give out his password. Intimidated by the persistence of CBP and being held already for a long time, he gave his phone access code to the agents.

Situations like this are not uncommon nowadays.This is just one of many remarkable stories at ports of entry which is making CBP agents’ well-earned reputation as abusive, rude individuals increase dramatically under the new administration.

The truth of the matter is that normally you do not have to give out your cell phone password. The Supreme Court has decided that police cannot search peoples’ phones inside the country without a warrant because they contain abundant personal information. The Court has not yet decided on a case about phone searches at the border or ports of entry.However, the Supreme Court in 1976 and 2004 decided that people’s Fourth Amendment privacy rights are less when entering the US because the government has to protect its borders.

If you are a US citizen or a Green Card holder (and you do not give out your password) they eventually have to let you in. It will be just a bad experience. But if you are coming to the US with a non-immigrant visa (as a tourist for instance) you are not only facing the hassle (and a bad time)but also a potential denial of entry.

Is there any remedy?

Yes. If you manage to make it through and feel that your rights have been violated, there are certain things you can do. The Supreme Court has held that “a violation of the Fourth Amendment protection against unreasonable searches and seizures by a federal agent acting under color of his authority gives rise to a cause of action for damages consequent upon his unconstitutional conduct.” Bivens v. Six Unknown Named Agents of Fed. Bureau of Narcotics, 403 U.S. 388, 389, 91 S. Ct. 1999, 2001 (1971).

Damages can include “humiliation, embarrassment, and mental suffering as a result of the [federal] agents’ unlawful conduct” Id. at 390. Attorneys fees are also a possibility in some cases.

For more information about “Bivens” actions call or text at 305-570-2208 or email us at





On Wet Foot; Dry Foot

By | Admission, Blog, Cuban Adjustment, Green Card, Immigration Law, Lawful permanent resident, News & Announcements | No Comments

The Cuban adjustment Act (CAA) is a law that gives Cubans citizens, their spouses and children the possibility of getting a green card if they have been physically present in the US for at least one year and have been admitted or paroled (i.e.: entered with a visa or a parole document).

A law is an act of congress, not the president.[1] The famous “Wet Foot; Dry Foot” phrase reflects not a law but a policy; a way to enforce a law by the president of the United States. In fact the words “Wet Foot; Dry Foot” are not written in any code or official document. It is a colloquial way to describe certain policy guidelines issued by the executive branch as to how to apply the CAA law.

Thus, when Obama cancels the Wet Foot; Dry Foot policy, he is not cancelling any law, and therefore he is not cancelling one word in the CAA.

What Obama did does not affect at all Cubans immigrating to the US with a visa or a parole document. It does affect those Cubans trying to enter the US illegally (through the US coast or through the borders).

Why did Obama do this? There appears to be three important reasons. First, end illegal Cuban immigration. Second, the change makes a disincentive for those involved in Cuban human trafficking and those immigrants who dare to take such a risk. And three, an agreement with the Cuban government (in an effort to normalize relationships with Cuba) for Cuba to take back Cuban criminal immigrants the US constantly removes and that Cuba refuses to take. Ending the Wet Foot; Dry Foot was apparently part of the deal.

For more information about this topic you can schedule a consultation at:


[1] There are also state laws that are made but state legislatures but since immigration law is federal law, immigration laws are only made by the US Congress.

Marriage and Green Card

By | Admissibility, Admission, Blog, Green Card, immigration, Immigration Law, Lawful permanent resident, LPR, misconceptions, Residencia | No Comments

I am constantly faced with the following question/fact pattern:

My boyfriend and I love each other a lot. She is a US Citizen. If we marry, in how long will they send me my green card?

The truthful (kind of mean) answer to this question is: Never. There is a huge confusion out there as to how the US government is organized. This would obviously would be a semester’s worth class, but let me try to do a simple explanation here.

The word “Immigration” means a lot of things. A lot of entities compose what we called “immigration”. It would take long to explain but what has to be understood is that Immigration is a federal body. The US is composed of States, and of the Federal Government. States regulate certain aspects of human life, like crimes, school, traffic, and marriage. The federal government regulates other aspects like taxes, employment and Immigration.[1]

Since states regulate marriage, that is where you have to go to get married. If you live in Florida, you will go to a state court in Florida and get married. If you marry in a state court, and do nothing else, you will never ever obtain a green card. Never. Marriage literally gives you nothing in terms of immigration benefits. You have to go to the federal government and tell them that you got married. “Tell them” is a euphemism because in reality, it is a complex paper work process you have to follow, for which it is recommendable to get an immigration attorney.

But the story does not end here. Even if you marry, and then go to the federal government to request for a green card, you are not necessarily entitled to one. If you are Osama Bin Laden, and you marry a US citizen, I guarantee you; you will not get a green card. Osama is the extreme example, but much much lighter criminal violations could disqualify you from getting a green card. Pay attention to all charges related to fraud.[2] Shop lifting a soda could potentially disqualify you.

In addition to criminal issues, it is very important to take into consideration how you entered the United States. If you entered legally, and overstayed your visa, (and you have no crimes) then you might be eligible for the green card. If you entered across the border, illegally, then the road is much steeper for you. You will need what is called a “waiver” and you likely WILL NOT be able to get your green card without a at some point in time, leaving the United States and being admitted legally.

As seen it is not that simple a process. If you have any further questions call or text Attorney Eduardo Ayala at 305-570-2208 for a consultation.

[1] In some of the areas the federal government and states overlap, but if a state regulates an area that is the realm of the feds, the state regulations cannot contradict the federal law.

[2] I put emphasis on “charges” because even if in a state criminal court you were acquitted, you might still be on the hook with immigration. Immigration has its own system of evaluating what crimes make someone eligible for immigration benefits. A system that is much tougher than the state system.

Residentes Permanentes, Record Criminal y Viajes al Extranjero

By | Admissibility, Admission, CBP, Deportation, Lawful permanent resident, Noticias, NTA, Removal, Travel Abroad | No Comments

No es poco común recibir una llamada de un residente permanente (LPR por sus siglas en ingles) que viaja al extranjero por vacaciones o negocios y que, para sorpresa suya, se encuentra detenido por la Agencia de Aduanas y Protección Fronteriza (CBP por sus siglas en ingles).

Cuando CBP detiene a un residente permanente, en lugar de admitirlo y dejarlo entrar al país, por lo general es porque CBP tiene duda con respecto a la “admisibilidad” de ese LPR. Las dudas sobre la admisibilidad del LPR son generalmente provocadas por alguna violación criminal del LPR–no importa cuan lejos en el pasado.

Cada vez que un LPR entra y sale del país, el LPR está pidiendo ser admitido bajo la Sección 212 del código de Inmigración y Nacionalidad (INA por sus siglas en ingles). Si usted cometió un delito que podría hacer que usted sea inadmisible, y CBP se da cuenta (puede ser que no se hayan dado cuenta las últimas veces que viajó al extranjero y de pronto ahora se dan cuenta), entonces le podrían negar la entrada a los Estados Unidos.

Normalmente CBP frente a esta situación va a hacer una de dos cosas: (1) si no están seguros de que su incidente criminal lo hace inadmisible, le dirán que regrese y le darán el formulario I-546, que es una cita para aparecer de nuevo en una oficina de CBP con copias certificadas de sus records criminales. (2) Si CBP piensa de manera concluyente que usted es inadmisible (o deportable), entonces CBP le dará un documento llamado “Notice to Appear” (Formulario I-862). En ese documento se le ordenará que vaya delante de un juez de inmigración para que el decida si debe ser admitido o deportado de los Estados Unidos. A este punto, usted está en lo que se denomina técnicamente “Removal Proceedings” (o procedimiento para removerlo del país). El gobierno está tratando de deportarlo.

Si están frente a uno de estos escenarios, es extremadamente importante que se comunique con un abogado de inmigración para una evaluación de sus antecedentes penales. Un abogado de inmigración puede decirle cuáles son las opciones que tiene. Incluso si es deportable, podría calificar para ciertos remedios legales dependiendo de las circunstancias. Si todavía no se encuentran en esta situación, pero tienen antecedentes penales (no importa qué tan lejos en el pasado) y un planea viajar al extranjero, también es importante que llame a un abogado para que pueda evaluar si va podría tener problemas al regresar a los Estados Unidos. Sentencias penales para un LPR (asi sea un dia de pobratoria) son una bomba de tiempo que potencialmente podría meterlo en grandes problemas al regresar a los Estados Unidos.

Si tiene preguntas sobre este llámenos al 305-699-7848 para una evaluación telefónica gratuita de su caso.

Lawful Permanent Residents, Criminal Convictions, and Travel

By | Admissibility, Admission, Blog, Deportation, DHS, Green Card, ICE, Immigration Law, Lawful permanent resident, LPR, NTA, Removal, Travel Abroad | No Comments

It is not uncommon that I receive a call from a long time Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) who travels abroad for vacation or business who, to his/her surprise, is detained by Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

When CBP detains an LPR, instead of admitting her and letting her into the country, it is usually because they have concerns regarding the “admissibility” of that LPR. Concerns regarding admissibility are usually triggered by some criminal violation of the LPR—no matter how far in the past!

Any time an LPR comes in and out of the country, that LPR is asking for “admission” and needs to be admissible under section 212 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. If you committed a crime that could render you inadmissible to the country, and CBP happens to notice about that crime (yes they have not notice, they might have not noticed the past 10 times you traveled abroad) then they could deny admission.

Generally CBP faced with this situations, will do one of two things: (1) if they are unsure as to whether or not your criminal incident renders your inadmissible, they will tell you come back and give you an I-546 form which is an Order to Appear again at a CBP office with copies of your conviction records. (2) If they think more conclusively that you are inadmissible (or deportable), then CBP will give you a document called Notice to Appear (Form I-862). That document will order you to go in front of an immigration judge for him/her to decide whether you should be admitted or deported from the United States. At this point you are in what is called technically “Removal Proceedings”. The government is trying to remove you.

If you are facing either one of these scenarios, it is extremely important that you contact an immigration attorney for an evaluation of your criminal records. An immigration attorney can also tell you what are your options assuming your record does render you removable from the US. You might qualify from relief from removal depending on your circumstances. If you are not in this situation yet, but have criminal record (no matter how far in the past) and plan to travel abroad, it is also important that you call an attorney so he can assess whether or not you will potentially have troubles coming back to the US. Criminal convictions for LPR’s are a time bomb that could potentially get you in a lot of trouble coming back to the US.

For questions about this call our firm at 305-699-7848 for a free telephonic evaluation of our case.

Petición aprobada versus visa disponible—una confusión muy común

By | Green Card, immigration, Immigration Law, Lawful permanent resident, National Visa Center, Noticias, Peticion familiar, Residencia, USCIS, Visa Bulleting | No Comments

Una de las confusiones mas comunes para aquellos que buscan emigrar a los Estados Unidos (o traer un miembro de su familia) es la que se refiere a la conexión entre peticiones aprobadas y visas disponibles. No son la misma cosa. Muchas veces el inmigrante, o el peticionario del inmigrante, tiene una petición aprobada (Formulario I-130) en sus manos y piensa que esto les da derecho a entrar legalmente a los Estados Unidos.

El hecho es que una petición aprobaba es sólo la primera parte del proceso. Para entender esto mejor, necesitamos saber lo siguiente:

  1. No todas las peticiones son las mismas. La petición de un hijo a su padre es diferente de la petición a un hermano a su hermana.
  1. El número de visas disponibles es limitado, a menos que sea un “pariente inmediato”: esposa a esposo; hijo de 21 años de edad o mayor a su padre o madre; padre o madre a hijo soltero menor de 21 años.

Si el miembro de la familia no encaja en la categoría de parientes inmediatos, la petición aprobada (I-130) solo demuestra que existe una legítima relación familiar que da derecho al miembro de la familia a una visa; si es que está disponible. El I-130 lo procesa USCIS.[1] Una vez que USCIS la aprueba, la remite al Departamento de Estado de EE.UU (DOS por sus siglas en ingles) para tramitar la visa—cuando esté disponible— y de ahi no tiene nada más que hacer en el proceso. Esta será la respuesta que le dará USCIS cuando usted llame un año después que su I-130 fue aprobada y la visa no este disponible todavía. USCIS le dirá que ya no tiene nada que ver con este proceso y que se ponga en contacto con el Centro Nacional de Visas (NVC por sus siglas en ingles) para ver si la visa ya esta disponible.

Ahora, como puedo saber cuando la visa esta disponible? Muy simple. Vaya al boletín de visas en la pagina de el departamento de estado que queda en el sitio Web:

El Centro Nacional de Visas actualiza el boletín todos los meses y le informara de las aplicaciones que se estan procesando en ese momento. La aprobación de su I-130 tendrá una fecha de recepción en la esquina superior izquierda. Esa fecha de recepción será su fecha de prioridad. En la parte superior derecha de su aprobación I-130 tendrá la categoría a la cual pertenece. Todo lo que tiene que hacer es buscar su categoría y luego buscar las solicitudes que se esten procesando en ese momento.

Por ejemplo, mas abajo se muestra un cuadro (tomado de la pagina de web del NVC) de las peticiones de visa para familiares en Abril 2015. Hay fechas determinadas para el proceso de China, India, México y Filipinas; Y luego, está la fecha para el resto de los países— la sección llamada “All chargeability Areas.”

Family-Sponsored All Chargeability Areas Except Those Listed CHINA-mainland born INDIA MEXICO PHILIPPINES
F1 01AUG07 01AUG07 01AUG07 01NOV94 01FEB05
F2A 01AUG13 01AUG13 01AUG13 08JUL13 01AUG13
F2B 22AUG08 22AUG08 22AUG08 01FEB95 01APR04
F3 08FEB04 08FEB04 08FEB04 01APR94 08AUG93
F4 15JUN02 15JUN02 15JUN02 08JUL97 22SEP91

Digamos que Marta que es residente permanente solicitó a su hijo, que tiene 16 años y se encuentra en Lima, Perú. La petición de Marta fue aprobada por USCIS y tiene una aprobación y fecha de recepción para 1 de agosto, 2014. Peticiones de residente permanentes a sus hijos pertenecen a la categoría F2A. Entonces, Marta va a el boletín de visa y busca la sección que diga “All chargeability areas” (porque Marta es de Peru). A continuación, ella buscara la categoría F2A y buscara la fecha que aparece en el gráfico.

En nuestro ejemplo, el Centro Nacional de Visas esta procesando solicitudes recibidas en Agosto del 2013. Aun no han llegado a la solicitud de Marta la cual fue recibida en Agosto de el 2014. Por tanto, Marta tendrá que esperar un año hasta que haya una visa disponible para su hijo. La aprobacion de la peticion por USCIS no le da derecho a una visa de por si. USCIS al approbar la I-130 solo le dice al DOS y a la NVC que existe una legítima relación familiar, y que el beneficiario (el hijo de Marta) puede obtener una visa, cuando este disponible.

Una vez que la visa sea disponible, DOS va a comenzar a procesarla y le dira a Marta (o su abogado) cuáles son los próximos pasos para que su hijo pueda ir a una entrevista y, a continuación, llegar a los Estados Unidos.

Para obtener más información sobre peticiones familiares y tramites de visas llame a el abogado, Eduardo Ayala a (305)699-7848.

[1] United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Approved petition versus available visa—a very common confusion.

By | Blog, Green Card, immigration, Immigration Law, Lawful permanent resident, misconceptions, National Visa Center, Residencia, USCIS, Visa Bulleting | No Comments

One of the common confusions for those seeking to immigrate to the United States (or bring a family member) is the one that relates to the connection between approved petitions and available visas. They are not the same thing. Often times the immigrant or the petitioner of the immigrant has an approved petition (Form I-130) in her hands and believes that that alone entitles them to enter the United States legally.

The fact is that an approved petition is only the first part of the process. To understand this we need know the following first:

  1. Not all petitions are the same. The petition from a son to his father is different from the petition to a brother to his sister.
  2. The number of available visas is limited unless is an “immediate relative” category: wife to husband; 21 or older child to parent; parent to 21 or younger unmarried child.

If your family member does not fit into the immediate relative category then all the approved petition does (form I-130) is to establish that there is a legitimate family relationship entitling your family member to a visa, when available. The I-130 is processed by USCIS[1]. After USCIS approves it, it forwards it to the US Department of State (DOS) to process the visa—when available—and then it has nothing more to do with it. This will be the response you get from USCIS when you call them a year after your I-130 was approved and a visa is not available yet. USCIS will tell you that they have nothing to do with it anymore and that you contact the National Visa Center (NVC) to check if a visa is available.

How do I now when a visa is available? Very simple. You go to the visa bulletin in the department of state website: The NVC will update the bulletin every month and will tell you which applications they are processing at the time. Your I-130 approval will have a receipt date on the top left corner. That receipt date will be your priority date. On the top right your I-130 approval will have the category you belong to. All you need to do is look for your category, and then look for what applications they are processing at that particular time. For example, this below is a snap shot of the April 2015 Visa Bulleting for family petitions. There are particular dates of processing for China, India, Mexico, and Philippines; and then, there is the date of processing for the rest of the countries—the section called “All chargeability Areas

Family-Sponsored All Chargeability Areas Except Those Listed CHINA-mainland born INDIA MEXICO PHILIPPINES
F1 01AUG07 01AUG07 01AUG07 01NOV94 01FEB05
F2A 01AUG13 01AUG13 01AUG13 08JUL13 01AUG13
F2B 22AUG08 22AUG08 22AUG08 01FEB95 01APR04
F3 08FEB04 08FEB04 08FEB04 01APR94 08AUG93
F4 15JUN02 15JUN02 15JUN02 08JUL97 22SEP91

Let’s say Marta who is a permanent resident petitioned for her son who is 16 and is in Lima, Peru. Marta petition was approved by USCIS and has an approval receipt date of August 1, 2014. Petitions from permanent resident to their children belong to the F2A category.[2] So Marta goes to the visa bulleting and looks for the “All chargeability areas” (because she is from Peru). Then she looks for the F2A category and looks for the date that appears in the chart.

In our example, the NVC is processing applications received in August of 2013. They have not gotten yet to Marta’s, which was received on August of 2014. Thus, Marta will have to wait one year until there is a visa available for her son. The USCIS approved petition makes her entitled to a visa. USCIS approval however, only tells the DOS and the NVC that there is a legitimate family relationship, and that the beneficiary (Marta’s son) can get a visa, whenever there is one.

Once the visa becomes available, the DOS will start processing it and will tell Marta (or her attorney) what are the next steps so her son can go to an interview and then come to the United States.

For more information on family petitions and visa processing call attorney Eduardo Ayala at 305-699-7848

[1] United States Citizenship and Immigration Services

[2] The visa bulletin describes in detail what the categories entail.

Puedo obtener la residencia (Green Card) si es que me caso con un ciudadano de los Estados Unidos?

By | Green Card, Lawful permanent resident, Noticias, Residencia | No Comments

La dureza de la sección 245 de el Acta para la inmigración y la nacionalidad (INA por sus siglas en ingles)

Hay una idea generalizada entre muchos inmigrantes de que, si están en el Estados Unidos (EEUU), en cualquier estatus, y son buenas personas (pagan sus impuestos, son buenos padres, esposos, van a la iglesia, etc.), y se casan con un ciudadano americano, entonces pueden obtener “papeles”, usando el hablar común de muchas de las decenas de personas que veo todas las semanas para consultas legales.

Probablemente tengan razón en pensar así. La idea emana probablemente de su propia percepción de lo que es justo. Desafortunadamente, las leyes de inmigración, como muchas leyes, no concuerdan (y hacen poquísimo por concordar) con ese sentimiento común que todos tenemos de lo que debería ser lo justo. Bajo las leyes de este país, estar aquí legal es un privilegio, no un derecho. Nunca tienes el “derecho” de estar aquí, incluso si es que te casas con un ciudadano/a americano/a.

Entonces, una persona que no tiene historial criminal y es un “no-ciudadano” honorable, no puede arreglar su estatus incluso si es que se casa con un ciudadano americano?

La respuesta es: depende.

Información fundamental que necesitamos es saber como entro esa persona a los Estados Unidos. Si esa persona vino a los EEUU “sin ser inspeccionada” entonces, las opciones que tiene bajo la sección 245 del INA drásticamente se reducen.

Un pre-requisito en 245 es que tu seas un extranjero que “fue inspeccionado y admitido o permitido entrar bajo palabra”. INA § 245(a). La oración anterior, para efectos de simplicidad (por favor no citar) significa que tu viniste a los EEUU a través de un aeropuerto o puerto con algún tipo de visa valida y, un oficial de la frontera (CBP por sus siglas en ingles) te dejo entrar, o en lenguaje migratorio, determino que eras “admisible”. Si tu eres uno de estos, muy probablemente puedas arreglar tu estatus si es que te casas con un ciudadano americano. Incluso si te quedaste mas de el tiempo que te permitía tu visa, 9 de 10 personas probablemente pueden arreglar su estatus legal, asumiendo que no eres Osama Bin Laden o perteneces a ISIS entre otros requisitos.

Que pasa entonces si viniste “sin ser inspeccionado” o, como me gusta decirlo, simplemente entraste caminando al país. Si entraste caminando, entonces no podemos arreglar tu estatus porque no fuiste “inspeccionado y admitido o permitido entrar bajo palabra.” Si estas dispuesto a regresar a tu país y entrar de nuevo a EEUU, entonces tal vez podremos dejarte estar legal si es que tu esposa americana presenta una petición por ti.

Cual es el problema aquí? Dos. Primero. Nadie quiere regresar y arriesgarse a no poder entrar de nuevo al país. Segundo, incluso aquellos que lo harían (uno de cada 100 probablemente) han estado presente en los EEUU ilegalmente por mas de 180 días. Estar ilegal en EEUU por mas de 180 días tiene un castigo de 3 anos para volver aplicar a ser admitido al país. (Si es que es mas de un año ilegal en el país, el castigo es de 10 años). La mayoría de esposas o esposos no esperan esa cantidad de años y se consiguen otra pareja!

La solución: una exoneración del castigo por la presencia ilegal en el país. Pero incluso esta exoneración no soluciona el problema. Nadie va a regresar a su país y arriesgar no cumplir los muchos requisitos que requiere la exoneración de la presencia ilegal, y no poder entonces regresar. Así, en Marzo 4 del 2013, el gobierno aprobó lo que llamo “exoneración provisional de presencia ilegal” (PUPW por sus siglas en ingles). (Ver 8 C.F.R. 212.7(e)). Un PUCW es básicamente una exoneración por adelantado. Puedes obtener la aprobación de la exoneración antes de que salgas de los EEUU. Esto es a lo mas que se llega en términos de garantías de regresar al país. Nunca tienes un 100% de garantías porque todavía tienes que cumplir todos los otros requisitos del INA para ser admisible a los EEUU y que aprueben tu solicitud de visa.

Que necesito para obtener una exoneración? Varias cosas, y aquí esta la diferencia clave entre alguien que entro legal a los EEUU y esta arreglando su situación legal y alguien que entro caminando. El ultimo necesita probar al gobierno que la negación de la exoneración va a resultar en “sufrimiento extremo” a la esposa americana.

Sufrimiento extremo es un concepto vago cuya determinación se hace normalmente caso por caso. Tomaría un tratado definirlo, pero puesto de manera simple, sufrimiento extremo es ese sufrimiento que es mas que el sufrimiento que ya genera el que se te niegue la legalidad en EEUU: permanecer en la oscuridad de la ilegalidad o ser deportado. Es algo extremo, usualmente—pero no siempre—relacionado con temas de salud; tu esposa tiene una condición medica y requiere de tu cuidado; tu esposa tiene un familiar muy enfermo y no podrá cuidarlo sin tu apoyo; tu esposa depende económicamente de ti y no podrás mantenerla desde el extranjero; eres las persona que se encarga de los hijos de tu esposa y ella no podrá solventar el cuidado de ellos si tu te vas; tu esposa tiene depresión clínica como resultado de que te van a deportar.

Teniendo mi oficina justo arriba de las oficinas del consulado de México, me encuentro con muchas personas que necesitan una exoneración para poder arreglar su situación legal; para sorpresa de ellos, no es tan simple. Cuando se trata de obtener beneficios migratorios, enfermedad y dificultad son—desafortunadamente—cosas buenas. Notablemente cuando pregunto a futuros clientes: como esta la salud de tu esposa? La respuesta es un rápido Excelente! La gente se enorgullece de estar saludable y de tener esposa e hijos saludables. Irónicamente, falta de salud es un bien aquí y la gente solo empieza a sentirse mal después de que les explico los requisitos de la exoneración.

Para consultas referidas a este tema llame al abogado Eduardo Ayala al (001) 305-570-2208